View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mifunego
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Horsepower junkie goes on the wagon, so to speak

Hi, group. My name is Andy, and I'm a horsepoweraholic. Most of the cars I have owned have been purchased and modified for speed, power, and more speed. This has been the case all my life. As I noted in my introduction a couple weeks ago, I currently drive a gloriously quick turbo Mazdaspeed3, 4-door hatch. As a driving enthusiast, I must say that this is one of the most rewarding street cars to drive, on the street or track, while still retaining so much real world practicality. But maybe not so much efficiency. So for some unknown reason, I am now interested in the car squeezing out a few more mpg, rather than mph.

This going cold turkey routine (or the closest thing to it, automotively) is difficult! I've prowled around on this website for a while and have started working on my "hypermiling" habits: mainly just accelerating more slowly and keeping an eye on the instant mileagemeter in the dash, but also keeping the highway speed under 65, shifting a lot lower in the rpms (generally no more than 2200 - damn, that takes so much restraint with that turbo beast under the hood tempting me!), and as someone here put it, driving like there is an egg under the gas pedal. Sometimes with the radio off, I can hear that turbo just beginning to start spooling up. It makes me just want to drop down a gear and punch the gas. Honestly, I sometimes feel like an alchoholic who is trying to quit drinking, while working at a liquor store. I almost need a support group .

Anyway, I just filled up my first tank since I started working on these habits. My first tank mpg averaged out to 25.6, which is a marked improvement over my last few tanks, especially considering the traffic drive in, and the fact that I didn't start this until a couple of commutes after my previous fill up. Fueleconomy.gov says I should be getting 18/25, and I'm at 25.6 this tank, driving about 40/60 city/highway, and on winter blend gas. I guess that's a start. I think my tires are only around 36psi, so I think that will be next. Ok, thanks for letting me ramble...