View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeemans View Post
Has anybody done work on the classic 80's Chevy vans? I've two of them (both 1990, one V6 and one V8) in Kuwait with a number of plans to play aero, however doing the underbelly I thought would give good gains, not? The van's floorpan is really a raft of cross members that stand out (or point down) like sails! I also plan to redirect air into the front wheelwells by opening the headlight housings, replacing the lights with small diameter lens-type headlights.

Of all things, I found dumping the clutch-fan (radiator fan) in favor of an electric fan (Volvo S80) not only resulted in massively eliminating engine vibration, but I also noticable improvement in performance, hence economy.

On the V6 I've added a windshield (?) between the bumper and the front axle crossmember, and the result was tangible.

Mike
Mike,the Chevy should react like any other bread box on wheels.If you can find the FLOW-IMAGES thread,you'll eventually see the Cd 0.16 "van" that Klemperer came up with in 1922 which remains a "benchmark for low drag today.That body would give about a 33 % mpg increase at 55-mph,more at faster speeds.
CAR and DRIVER attempted a full-size van aero-mod in the latter 1970s.Their bellypan was of no benefit unless painstaking detail was applied.
Your fan delete is one which is well known of and proven benefit.
I would mimic the front of any modern van or pickup if you can.Smaller mirrors have shown measurable results.
One and a half feet length of boat tail gave me 4-mpg.A receiver-hitch cargo box might serve you as a foundation for such a mod,with quick-on/quick-off capability.
This is something "hard to park" curbside and better suited to long highway excursions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
hat4rvn (03-17-2018), HHOTDI (01-12-2013)