View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Back in February of 2005 I photographed the way the snow had blown off the first aerocap I built on the way to work. It looks as if the air was turbulent in the central part of the roof and then became laminar as it moved rearward, blowing the snow away from the surface in two distinct wedge shaped areas.

The ridge of snow which built up along the edge of the cap is interesting. This first cap was not that effective because the roof was too flat and the angle of the roof was too severe causing separation.

I wish I could find the video of the flow visualization I did on the present design of the aerocap back in May of 2007 using yarn tufts. It showed good attached air all around the lid except for the rear corners. The two wind tunnel tests we have done showed the same when the smoke was applied.

Bondo
Brett,from what I remember of the smoke flow images for your cap,the near-field flow was great.Even the Kamm cars exhibit some "drunkenness" with the flow,where top and sides meet.
You have no apologies to make for your cap designs,I consider them to be the BENCHMARK.Delicious!