View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
ericbecky
EcoModding Seeker

red - '02 Honda Insight
Hybridfest guy now at ecomodder

Hi everyone, my name is Eric Powers, and I am an ecomodder.

I own a 2002 5-speed (of course!) Honda Insight that I bought back in 2003 with 30,000 miles on it. I am now at 109,000 miles and it is running strong. My lifetime fuel economy is 68.1.

My main modification is really not my own. I stand on the shoulders of Mike Dabrowski for the mod. In 2007 I installed a MIMA system into the Insight. My three sons (all under age 12) helped me do the install after we poured over all the written documentation as well as the helpful video we got from Mike.

I do some other minor stuff like a warm air intake to help keep the Insight in lean burn as well as block the radiator in cold weather.

Another aesthetic modification I made is to add an Mobile LED MD-550 scrolling LED sign in the rear hatch window. (The company is no longer in business.) I put up fun things like "Now Getting 85 MPG", to share with other drivers around me.

When I'm not thinking about mods, I am plenty busy...

My main gig is being one of the creators and promoters for "Hybridfest – A Hybrid Electric Car Show and More!" in Madison, WI. Given the great attitudes of people here at ecomodder, it is definitely an event you guys should check out. It's not just about hybrids. It's about all kinds of high fuel economy transportation. We'd love to have a display of your cars and have you talk about them. We haven't put up the registration for 2008 quite yet, but it'll be up soon. In the meantime save the dates: July 18, 19 & 20.

Through Hybridfest we have also partnered with Great Race to put on a large scale MPG Challenge. The MPG Challenge has always been a part of Hybridfest, but it's usually only about 30 miles long. With the partnership we are expanding things exponentially. I'll be announcing our latest New York to San Francisco MPG Challenge a little later today.

I also run a local hybrid car club, the Madison Hybrid Group, and have helped others get their clubs going.

Lastly I moderate on hybrid car sites and freelance write about hybrid cars.

Ecomodder is inspiring for me and my sons. Thanks for such a great site.

Madison, Wisconsin
www.evpowers.com

Last edited by ericbecky; 03-19-2008 at 04:16 PM..