View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
So_SiMpLe_ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_SiMpLe_ View Post
So it means that at until some size, the spoiler will bring benefits, once you don't have a belly pan, making the air avoid that engine "troubled" area.

But you might notice more drag at certain speed.

It means that the very best solution is to keep the front as it is and add a bellypan right?
Yes, but bellypans can be a PITA. Also, they can have their own troubles if not done right :

belly pan thrash 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
The main problem with my belly pan is not the rear exit angle. But the lack of front airdam. The problem is too much air is taken under the car and as it works its way to the rear it piles up, till it touches the ground and then tumbles. This problem is exaggerated when the car is loaded because the ride height in the rear can be reduced a further 3". I've found that a belly pan requires more design than I originally anticipated. I know what I need to change but lack real motivation now.
Because I go to a mechanic for regular maintenance I am not willing to install a bellypan that will only make things hard for repairs. It already takes me about an hour to "de-prep" my car for the mechanic, so I need to be able to get the stuff off fast.

lovemysan also had trouble with his airdam, which would be an example of being too big ... Ahhhhhh, here is a little bit on the Opel Calibra that I was talking about :

The airdam that didn't work
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrio. View Post
I am not surprised from your results.
with your airdam, you have added more frontal area, and because your car (with many aero mods) it is very efficient, your have gotten worse the things.
If I just remember, your car is equipped with full bellypan.
You can try to reduce central height of airdam, this, reduce the FA, and permit to pass the air under your car.
Look, the example opel calibra.
Calibra equiped with engine undercover, use an airdam tested in windtunnel.
After many tests, Opel are deliveryd an airdam shaped with raised central area, and high at the side.

look the image below:

It permit to deviate the air from wheels and the suspension arm.
I do not have any report, but in my car, I am insirated me to Opel for my front deviator
if you try it, tell us the change.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society