View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
dwestmodesto
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
To answer some questions:

I haven't really done anything under the hood that helped much. A 203 degree stat did yield a 0.5 MPG improvement. A 4" exhaust didn't help at all. Using a Baldwin PA2818 air filter with all under hood intake didn't help a bit. Going from split-shot to single shot injectors did not improve MPG one iota.

I use all synthetic lubricants. Didn't improve MPG at all.

Gearing and aero are the big enchiladas if you want MPG from a pickup.

I don't see how my air dam is much different than the one on the race car.

BTW, my air dam is currently on the garage floor. It snows in Nap-town this time of year, and bulldozing snow is not conducive to high MPG.

I will probably trim it back a little this spring before I put it back on. One does get tired of the scraping.

The MADS smarty tuner with POD might be a interesting place to look. It is a high performance tuner that has ability to adjust timing, injection pressure, etc, but it also has a new feature called POD...power on demand. It can turn down the power to anywhere from 1% to 100% This is a link to the developers explanation. Smarty POD Info - Diesel Bombers. It might have more potential for mileage increase. My DiabloSport promisses increased mileage, but I haven't seen it yet...Still experimenting.

Last edited by dwestmodesto; 12-30-2009 at 10:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to dwestmodesto For This Useful Post:
DieselFan (09-01-2011)