View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
AmpEater
EcoModding Lurker

Datsun 240z becomes Electric/Diesel Hybrid

I thought I'd share my progress with this project as I'm sure many people here have contemplated similar ideas.

I'd like to start by stating that I do not think hybrids the "solution" to our energy problems. They are more like a stepping stone to alternatives, a way for people to get used to the idea of having electricity power their car, even if only in part.

So... why build a hybrid then?

Originally my project started as a pure EV conversion. However, after crunching the numbers over and over I came to the conclusion that I just can't pack enough electricity into this vehicle while keeping the weight reasonable. Also, my needs vary from day to day and having a vehicle that can only travel 40 miles a day means I would need to keep a second, ICE powered, vehicle around at all times for those extra trips and long distance traveling. By integrating the engine I need to have anyway into my EV I get the best of both worlds, and only need a single vehicle.

Unlike a typical hybrid, this is really going to be more of a "range extended EV', hopefully being able to complete 90% of all my traveling without needing the engine.

I plan on cleaning up the diesel as much as is possibly, primarily through the use of propane injection. My understanding is this significantly decreases the amount of unburned fuel leaving the exhaust, while increasing power because you get a more complete burn. I also intend of using WVO if possible, through the use of a heated system. Does anyone have any good suggestions for cleaning up the diesel any further?

More information is available at my blog: Project AmpEater

I'm also having a hard time choosing between a series or parallel setup. Series is simpler mechanically, more complex electrically. Parallel is more simple (and saves 100 lbs due to no need for the generator), but will be more complex mechanically and the generator cannot operate in its peak efficiency band all the time like with a series. Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by AmpEater; 03-21-2008 at 04:40 PM..