View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #70 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
I'm really sad to hear that! After all the work you put into it too.
What exactly caused it? Just the lugnuts coming loose?

I might have to take up the slack on a neutral trailer idea.
brucey,I think it was basically chronic fatigue and worrying more about respecting others vacation schedules and deadlines,than "finishing" the project and insisting that I do some sort of "shakedown" run before departure.
When the new wheels went on,I was probably thinking that they might have to come back off for some other procedure.The lug bolts never got torqued.
Since the wheels were spin-balanced they might have held on as long as they did, do to the minimum of vibration.
Lucky for me that it came apart at 63-mph rather than the 80-mph I'd intended for the next day.I'd made a number of excursions up 70-mph on the way to Odessa and she went like a rocket.
I would like at some point,to pull the rig across El Mirage Dry Lake at one of the California Timing Assoc. events leading up to Speed Week at Bonneville.
I believe the trailer will allow the truck to achieve 138-mph and 34.6 mpg during warmer weather.
This would mean that the truck would get better mpg WITH the trailer,than without.There is an extreme amount of good science to support the notion.
As I've mentioned elsewhere,pulling the trailer in winter temps(for Texas),and at 63-mph,I'm getting about 13-mpg better than Mythbuster's pair of F-150s running bone-stock at 55-mph.I'm okay with that.