View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
MetroMPG -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG;150979...

Many EcoModder members already know that [I
manually[/I] shutting down your gasoline engine whenever stopped for more than a few seconds is worth significant fuel savings. Mazda estimates automated start/stop is worth a 7-9% fuel economy boost in sub/urban driving.

The start/stop feature is much more common in Europe & Japan even on plain Jane non-hybrid models. So why doesn't the US market have it?

According to Mazda's Robert Davis...

Apparently several auto makers are lobbying the EPA to change test procedures to reward the inclusion of start/stop technology.

Hmmmmm, too bad. Why not offer this as an "eco-option" and charge more money for it like roflwaffle says? I am sure there is a small contingent of people that would pay for this. Try it for one year as an experiment, see what happens, and collect green(washing?) credits in the meantime.

When I think of Mazda, I don't associate them as much with good MPG. I associate them with their "zoom zoom" performance ads. Actually, whenever I have been looking at new cars, it's the EPA MPG ratings of the Mazdas that have crossed them off my list.

I definitely see the benefit of changing the EPA test to reward the start/stop tech. It's a no-brainer. If nothing else, the auto companies should create a very-close-to-EPA test of their own (like an ISO standard) that they can use in their ads. Call it City-SSTech MPG or what not. Build it into the sell.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society