View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...back to the original statement, and the facts:

A/F -- gasoline (14.7:1), ethanol (9.0:1)........ie: 0.61 = 9.0/14.7
BTU -- gasoline (116,090), ethanol (76,330)...ie: 0.66 = 76,330/116,090

...so, UNLESS the engine is specially modified (ie: flex fuel or variable CR), switching from gasoline to ethanol:

1) takes a BIG hit in stoichiometic A/F ratio, which means almost 61% more FUEL by weight for same CID.
You're correct but nothing "special" needs to be done, the vehicle just needs to assess what fuel is being burned and then have the injector capacity to shove more fuel through the injectors per cycle and use current standards for ignition timing to advance until just below knock. I have 2 vehicles in my driveway with very little mods that run perfectly on e85, have done so for tens of thousands of miles indicating no reason to suspect harm. Exhaust temperatures are similar between the two fuels when enough fuel is being burned which tells me that valves aren't being burned.

As for the burning more fuel by weight... to my knowledge nobody's contesting that. It's a different fuel with a different number of BTU's per pound, who would expect identical output per pound from a substance containing less actual energy per pound? What if I gave you a car that runs on your household greywater waste but only gets 1 mile per gallon? Would you complain about the MPG?

Last edited by shovel; 12-31-2009 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: n/a