View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
SentraSE-R
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Arragonis,

We need to be sure you're properly doing EOC. Your ignition should have four positions: OFF, ACC, ON, and START. START is the same as ON, except it cranks the starter motor. When you're EOCing, you want to turn the engine OFF long enough to stop it from idling, then back to ON. The best way to do this is to let the engine drop to idle speed before momentarily switching the ignition to OFF, then back to ON. When you're in the ON position, you should retain your steering and lights.

You should retain two or three power-assisted brake usages during EOC before losing the power assist.

You will lose power steering during EOC, but with your tires inflated to maximum sidewall pressure, you should not notice much difference in steering effort during EOC at normal driving speeds. Our parents drove without power steering, and we can do it, too.

My cars keep the headlights on with the ignition switch in the ON position. Since you should be EOCing with the ignition in the ON position, your headlights should be on during EOC. My alternator keeps the battery charged during normal pulse and glide 1/3 on to 2/3 off cycles at night with the lights on. I monitor voltage to make sure the battery voltage does not drop below 11.6 V.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg