View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #68 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Oh I believe you and commend you for the heads up, they remind me of the pricewatch folks back around 2000-2004 that would price the then state of the art 256mb PC133 memory modules for $2 then charge $6-20 to ship each one. However when I bought a bunch in volumes of 5 or more the price was still fine even though they were overcharging on the shipping end. I made a lot of cash selling $50 PCs built off those gray market modules back in the day.

Those tactics don't bother me so long as I KNOW they are doing it and the total price is still OK with me. Also I would need recourse just in case.

However...
Ripoff Report: Sun Electronics, Pierre Prophete, John Kimball ripping everybody off! They sell defective and damaged items, and you'd be lucky if they'd ship even that to you! Miami Florida
Where to Buy Solar Panels? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Its of note that when dealing with questionable places that probably are selling 2nds like sunelec to be very dilligent and likely make sure you have recourse to get money back if the panels prove to be defective as sunelec does sell an awefull lot of 2nds that have miffed others including your evergreens. Remember their UL listing is questionable but there are more happy customers than angry, but if you happen to get it and aren't local likely no recourse if they send you the wrong stuff. They also have a tendancy of sending larger than ordered panels both in physical size and occasionally wattage/voltage so you never know. For my purposes that would be fine but only if someone if FL is willing to take a trip there as I already have them on the only in person list of places, I wouldn't risk placing an order to ship unless its cash I'm willing to part with.

But as I will state again they ARE willing to allow local pickup and are a real store, bypass the shipping and problem solved?

Yet another reason to only deal local, no games, no unresolvable rip off. Especially when it comes to something as expensive as solar panels

Anyone live in FL that can make a trip, lots of folks have a love hate relationship with Sunelec, I'm still up for 4 of the panels if someone is willing to pick them up

And I am all ears if any LEGITIMATE places have similarly priced panels, I have wanted a set for years to charge my electric cars AKA off grid so UL means nothing to me

Cheers
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
My bill for 4 panels:
Subtotal $235.20 USD
Shipping and handling $101.74 USD
Total $336.94 USD

Got changed to $240 for Shipping and handling (higher then the panel cost).
and, the price break was only $27 to pickup at a local Fedex depot at $213.

I was upset about the price-jack, after a 5 day delay and just decided to forget the whole project.

About 10 seconds after their guy got on the phone, he was trying to sell me
other stuff that I didn't want.

Last edited by rmay635703; 01-01-2010 at 12:06 PM..