View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
bensenvill
EcoModding Lurker

if you want to read much more into the subject, bobistheoilguy.com is a must visit.

keeping the oil on the lower side for a non-aggressive driver is probably perfectly safe. Keep in mind, you might have an engine platform that is not happy with this decision, I cannot answer specifically for that. I have an engine platform (early ford duratec) which has the known issue of oil starvation during sweeping right hand turns.... its just a badly designed windage tray. For me its just not worth it because if you monitor oil pressure you will see a drop off going up a freeway on-ramp.

I do have an engine that eats a bit of oil, and there is a mild mark in increase in mpgs when the oil level gets low (so much so that the tank milage logs tell me to check the oil levels).

And I highly support anyone doing their own car maintence, I personally am a big promoter of using a local oil shop for some fluid work. I am a car tinkerer and have several highly modified cars, but over the years they have been really sharp at picking out issues that strangely I never noticed. Its been a form of idiot checking for me... just my 2 cents.