View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dave's Civic Duty
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3058 View Post
So the Civic has been down for 2 months for massive repairs. It was leaking oil like a sieve and needed the o2 and a timing belt. After I bought the car I discovered the rpms are too high for the VX/CX tranny gearing, best I can tell its a DX gear ratio. So I also got a CX tranny to swap in (checked the ratios on it before I bought it this time). While out I had the head shaved .030, replaced all the gaskets, timing belt, had a 3 angle valve job done, new valve seals, etc. As I pulled it apart I discovered the intake manifold-to-head bolts were just barely snug, various bolts were stripped or broken off, the motor mount was ripped in two, the oil pan gasket was ripped, and the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces were blued from a serious beating at some point. Great. Never buy a Civic from anyone under 50. Anyways the fuel intake bolts were also loose, and the injector seals showed signs of debris leaking past them. The combined loose intake/loose injectors may be partly to blame for the skipping, I won't know for sure until I start the car here this week but hopefully its gone. Last couple bolts to install, and trying to remove a CV from the new tranny (another topic) and I'll be ready. Just an update on my progress since I haven't gotten to actually try the new o2 yet.
Wow Tim,

You're really into this project. All this because the O2? Dude! How's it going? Is the engine back together? Did you have any burned valves because of the loose manifold bolts?

All the best,
Dave