View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #45 (permalink)
solarguy
EcoModding Apprentice

"hm.. didn't know everyone was so opposed to making progress. "

Yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody here said anything like that.

Ethanol from sugar cane has a far better EROEI than ethanol from corn. Ethanol from cellulose and other "waste" feedstocks may or may not have a more attractive energy balance depending on what the total process looks like. I hope they keep doing work with more efficient ways to turn cellulose into alcohol.

What I am suggesting is that ethanol from corn is about the least effective way to achieve goals of reduced dependence of petroleum that I can imagine. You have yet to show me any data that suggests that my comments about the EROEI for corn based ethanol are incorrect.

I would prefer that you stop insulting me by implying that I am against progress, or that I want to preserve the status quo on how we use energy. I already make my own biodiesel from waste cooking oil, which has an EROEI of 6:1 or better. That is TWENTY times better than corn based ethanol. I already use the waste product from the biodiesel process to heat my house. I have already purchased a VW diesel to minimize my petro fuel consumption. I have nearly completed a super insulated shop that is 30' x 70', r-50 in the walls, r-70 in the ceilings, r-20 high density foam under the slab. This building uses about 15% of the energy of a conventional pole barn. I spent 10's of thousands of dollars to conserve energy resources. My house is getting remodeled to attain the same level of energy efficiency, also at a cost of many thousands of dollars.

So,

1. What does your energy resume look like?
2. Why do you keep making these broad, sweeping generalizations about me that are just not supported in real life?

Finest regards,

troy

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.