View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
inline transverse four 2wd with a turbo, and self declared speed freak....
That is not a quest for horsepower, you have a modern disease called "ricer syndrome". It is a great step to speak forward.
A fantastic way to get over this..simply find any v8 vehicle, the first epeiphany is same gas mileage for 1500-to 1 ton more weight, half the rpms...and same freakin gas mileage...
A cheap way for this quest is finding an auctioned cop car, or facotyr with a towing package. Maybe an older unibody mustang, stay in the same "feel" of things, or for a unique twist on consimption/power.weight.mileage and usefulness, you could go all the way backj toa 90hp subaru and hack the 1mm into a legendary powerouse..at 40 mpg. Or any boxer driven machine at all, lots to play with. All the mentioned bring an epiphany of "manly" proportions.

I relate to this quest, my first sense of false speed and going fast was a mazda MX6 in the late 80s. I caught onto the falsity whne a pot hole pulverized main substructures in the rear end..oh my god...it was a faker..the whole freakin time...tin canned underwight go cart with a low torque screamin overcammed sideways..I could go on with the adjectives...

good luck in your quest. A bit of motivation: a 1950s chevy 283 could achieve 30s mpg hauling another vehicle. that's uhmm 50 years....second think technology. Often times turbos are used in ittle cars to maintain a cheaper body. No joke....turbos are laggy soft accelerators if you haven't noticed.

There is hope for you and your mazda daydream..you admitted it, the reward for consumption. step one is complete.