View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #52 (permalink)
s2man
I"m not lurking!

Porthos - '96 Chevrolet Cavalier
90 day: 31.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
How about before everyone starts going off in different directions we come up with a roadmap for the project.
Definitely. The core FE gauge needs to be completed before any branches are considered. I was just echoing Darin's thoughts on future add ons. I think it would be good to consider modularity on V1, though. So the core doesn't have to be rewritten every time someone wants to add a feature.

And we'll definitely need to use sourceforge, or some other control system, for keeping track of all modifications to project source code files.

I agree with Coyote X that we need a road map. We haven't defined our hardware needs yet. Should we use the smallest processor that will support a basic FE gauge for V1? Or should it be extensible, with enough peripherals for everything we can imagine? AVR or PIC processor? (folks have spent money on both already) I/O's. Timers? Memory? Are we going to have boards etched so folks can build their own? Use existing boards? (Arduino or other) Bread boards? LCD or Palm? RS232 or USB?

If we don't know where we're going, we'll never get there.