View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rainh2o
Ecomodder in Training

Green Machine - '96 Ford Contour GL
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)
'96 contour 2.0 zetech

FYI...

Found out this week that this engine IS a Non-interference engine if your timing belt breaks (another words the valves wont get bent if the belt breaks!!). I was told that all zetech engines are non-interference but I cant say if thats true, only the 96 2.0 for sure. The mechanic first told me that it was not and I had all my valves probably bent, but 6 dealerships service dept said it is. So after towing it home I ended up replacing both idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley as well as the belt myself. Went ahead and replaced the water pump as well due to it being located behind the timing belt and I didn't want to be taking it apart again until the belt is due to be replaced. Looked like the original belt at 92K miles on it and it actually looked fine, one if the idler pulleys and the tensioner though gave it up in my case. ALSO FYI...you need to purchase a tensioner spring and stud from the dealership if these engines have not had the belt replaced before. They come from the factory with no spring and trying to do it without one is a real *****, even though I ended up getting it done without one, but I will buy one next time. Parts ended up costing me 208 bucks. I ended up buying an impact wrench since I could not break loose the crankshaft pulley. Total cost about 300 bucks and a days worth of work. still better then the 750+ that was quoted to me form the mechanic becasue he was going to replace the head, which I will not be going back to for mechanic work since he was either trying to talk me into more money with the bent valve story or just didnt know, hoping he just didnt know. Besides I ended up with a nice little impact wrench to use for other projects now.

Now I need to replace the started since it will not engage about every 4th time I start it...LOL