View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I think the biggest thing to look into would be an engine block heater. On short city commutes the cold numbers kill you. Aerodynamics probably will not come into play much just do to the stop and go traffic that you mentioned. I would concentrate on getting the engine hot as quickly as possible.

Engine Block Heater
Grill Block
Front belly pan.
Tire pressures.
I'm already doing everything but the block heater. I thought of it, but it won't help too much in our specific situation. At least our cars are garaged while at home, which is usually a bit warmer than the outdoor temps in winter. Typically, if it is 20 outside it might be more like 30 in the garage. She routinely drives about 8 miles to work and then back home. The block heater would be unusable at her workplace, which means that 50% of its use would be negated. Besides, we pay the highest electric rates in the nation, so any possible saving in gasoline would be offset by consumption of electricity, meaning it would be a 'wash'. I've considered a full radiator block, but seeing that I have all the grilles blocked already, I don't want to overdo it. I have a full radiator block on the car that I drive ('89 Galant) but those blocking panels are easily removable.

The weather has been absolutely brutal here recently. Yesterday and today have been about 20 degrees with constant 50 mph winds, which is a horrible wind chill factor. We have all new windows and insulated siding on our home, but those high winds still suck the heat out of a house.

Quote:
With an automatic it's critical to know your shift points and drive the speed that gives you the lowest rpm. That might not be the posted speed limit it might be a little ffaster or a little slower use the SG to see where it needs to be. Driving techniques are key for this environment. Both you and your wife study the 100+ driving tips to fine tune your technique.
I'm aware of that, but I don't know how to teach that to her. The first lesson is to try to lighten the heavy foot.