View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
bensenvill
EcoModding Lurker

reverse in a manual tranny

figured I'd ask here as it seems to be the place for stick shift hold-outs.

I took a lancer for a test drive last year and was doing a 3 point turn, depressed the clutch and swapped into reverse while the car still had some forward momentum and was treated to a bad noise and alot of burnt clutch (and having to pull the car back into the dealership with that very persistent odor).

I learned clutch on a ford contour and this whole reverse while still rolling forward thing was new to me. (there is a hell of a lot of work and fun parts in that tranny, its hard to say if its not suppose to like doing that or not) but I've asked a number of other people with my car platform and some mazda3 owners and no one has said this should be an issue.

I ended up buying a honda fit and its also a car that doesn't like swapping into reverse while drifting forward. But rather than burning the clutch it makes a pretty horrid grear grinding noise. I was told by the Fit group that the reason for this is because the tranny doesn't have a synchro for reverse and that NO CAR has this.

Now I'm perfectly content with not dropping into reverse unless I am at a complete stand still but are there cars out there that can do this?