View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
Ok, here's a couple pictures:
The first is the Overlay on my car, just want to make sure I have correctly applied it. In addtion I added a red line to represent a 30 degree angle going back to intersect the Overlay. It's quite big!
The second is a "What if". What if we imagined a 15 degree angle down from the top of the rear glass, this is the blue line. What if we imagined a 12 degree angle from the top of the glass, this is the yellow line. The red line is carried over from the overlay. I chose the top of the glass because this is where the angle of the cars shape starts to exceed 15 degrees, the glass's maximum angle is 24 degrees. The reason I added these "what if's" is because it will be difficult to make the red line happen without damaging the car to support that big spoiler. Is is worthwhile to pursue anything shorter?

Additionaly my rear window is fairly well rounded. Check out the dew streaming down the rear window picture and the somewhat top view. This leads me to believe the air is pushing and wraping around the outside third of the window, but not really the middle third of the window. If I put on a spoiler, would it need to be tallest in the middle and taper down towards the outside edges?

Thanks for considering my questions!
Tygen1,what you illustrate in your first image is EXACTLY correct! And yes.it's pretty big!
And it looks like rear vision while backing up will be a concern ( probably why modern spoilers are "open."
When GM set the land speed record with the EV-1,the angle measured off the top of the tail,to the top of the roof was 15-degrees.And when viewed from the rear,it's upper surface mimic'd the curvature of the roof,rolling down on each side,so your idea of the taper is A-Okay.
Maybe 15-degrees is a good compromise.