View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
WaxyChicken
Nomadic Chicken

I am also intending to do an EV Build.
I haven't started the build thread yet because i'm waiting until i have most of the parts. I don't want to start a build thread then go 3 or 4 months without an update because of cost.

When you look to build/buy your EV you must remember to OVER budget.
For example - at a forklift junk yard i bought a used motor for about $60 that's a good size. but that $60 doesn't count the first motor i follied on for $30.
(I'm awful lucky having a local forklift scrap yard. otherwise the same motor would of cost around 2K used.)

You haven't said how much $$ you hope to limit yourself to with this project.
I'm trying to limit mine to an unheard of $2k (including batteries) for a 100 mile range build. This budget is already anticipated to be impossible but i'm doing my best.

Just remember to exorcize patience, listen to that good sense voice in the back of your head, and err on the side of caution. It is better to take a month to get a part you need than it is to spend an extra $1000 - don't be over eager.

Your goal IS an achievable one so don't get discouraged. Every online EV community is more than willing to help. It means one less ICE car on the road and one more step to mainstream acceptance of EVs.

Best of luck.