View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Earl Furney
EcoModding Lurker

More on keeping it simple

Frank Lee, I first thought that it might be a hazard to drive. But 2500 miles later, I've found this not to be so. Perhaps a little more description of the set screw is in order.

Detent set screws have spring loaded balls in one end. They come with various spring tension and different lengths of travel. I choose a medium tension and 1/4" travel. These screws are normally used in machine tools and the tool making industries.

When the final adjustments are reached to suit, I've found that from a standing start, depressing the accelerator to the stop without depressing the spring, gives more than enough power to pull out in traffic and not get run over. On level ground at this setting the car will reach 70 mph.

Now if I need more power for hills and passing old ladies, I've got to press down the additional travel against the spring to achieve the added power to reach 90 mph (Why? my last speeding ticket was in 1967).

The thing I've learned the most, is using more power than is necessary, is just blowing half burned fuel and dollars out the tail pipe.