View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 AM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
New front air dam

I thought it was time that I stopped just reading about mods and tried experimenting with one so I built a front air dam last weekend. I'm quite happy with the look (the less important part) but I'm not sure yet if it is going to help MPG. I already mounted a partial front pan last year and redid my grillblocks in the fall. Lowest suspension parts are at 6" and bottom of dam is 5.5". Eventually I would like to do a full pan and widen the front bumper to clear the tires but that is not an outside project at -20c. Anyway, I had a 200mile highway run yesterday that I make occasionally and mileage was only 8L/100km avg. at 65-70mph but -20c to -12c temp may have had some effect. I avg around 7.6-7.8 in the summer if the winds not blowing hard. I need to do some sort of A B A test when it warms up to be sure I guess. It may be too low or maybe I should have left the middle open. It may be creating more turbulance at the front tires since it doesn't clear them even though I tried to deflect it out at the end. I would appreciate your feedback. I was going to post pictures but apparently the file sizes are too big.