View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Harpo
EcoMudder

Harpo's Honda - '05 Honda Civic VP
90 day: 42.64 mpg (US)
Observation

I've noticed alot of newer cars have a small under the chin spoiler (usually black rubber/plastic) that sticks beneath the bumper about 1.5"-2". It's usually set back a bit from the leading edge. My '05 Civic has one, and everytime I look at it, I wonder about just extending it down a bit and making a small airdam out of it.

However, looking at these designs, I question the validity in doing so as I may just introduce more frontal surface without return on investment. Then, I look at what AndrewJ has done with his 5th Gen Civic, and he's obviously made some beneficial changes. Would it be safe to say that unless you can provide a transition to smooth underside pan, or initiate the airdam from the leading edge, that extending the chin spoiler as in my Civic would do little to improve aerodynamics?

If I did go as far to extend it, I think I'd try for some integrated front wheel spoliers as well, but everything would be setback, under the bumper a bit. Coming from an aviation background I see un-necessary drag (parasite, interference, lift) as my enemy. Once you start working in the steep part of the drag curve, a little parasite drag gets big quick. I have to believe smooth transitions at normal driving speeds are hard to beat.