View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
Yup, the TJ was running airshocks. Even sitting at the top of the ramp he had almost 2.5" of shock left.

As for the Ranger, when I bought it, it already the big fiberglass baja fenders up front (and still got 29 MPG!!!), and we are going to stretch the rear fenders out a little to cover the rubber, and do a little cutting at the front andrear of the rear wheel opening to allow more stuff. Right now I'm not sure it will clear the ramp as the springs are quite stiff. But plans are to ditch the Twin Traction Beam for a solid front axle (likely a D30 from a Cherokee) and go to a soft Cherokee lift coil, and I got Chrysler 8.25" rear axle for free as well as a set of stock front Cherokee coils to do a 4 link in the rear of the Ranger. Just need the link material at this point. 1.75" DOM or 2" should do the trick, then add some flexjoints. Put in new shock towers from an F250 and need a 28" extended length shock...

Its all about trail education. Most folks do the right thing when they know what it is. Yes, there are some folks that are thick headed. But I've picked up as much garbage from HIKERS as I have wheelers. Every access group has their own miscreants.