View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #64 (permalink)
sarahama
EcoModding Lurker

SUCCESS! A SOLUTION!

My landlord finally repaired the problem that caused the high electric costs in the apartment! As suggested by one of our good people, there was a water leak which resulted in the water heater staying on for 24 hours a day to re-heat the water. I mentioned this to my landlord more than 6 months ago, but they said it was impossible because there wasn't any indication of a water leak in the apartment and the leak couldn't be heard. This December an electrician was brought in to record the electric usage from the breaker panel and subsequently told the landlord that the problem must be a water leak. The landlord replaced the hose between the kitchen sink and where it comes into the apartment (a few steps from the kitchen to laundry area). My meter finally stopped turning like crazy. I look forward to lower electric bills and I'm sure the owner will have a lower water bill for the combined apartments. He said that he would settle on the electric costs that were incurred. This problem that has been present since the apartment was built 3 years ago, and having 3 different tenants who rented the space, is finally remedied.