View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
TEiN
Not wearing pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainh2o View Post
I will also have to try and see if my car will take off without pressing gas at all, I don't think it will but it will still be a good exercise for him...
It will.

All cars will, if you have the patience and the skill.

For six years, I was an instructor at several racing schools, and one of the first things I taught--even to very experienced drivers--was being able to start the car from a stop using only the clutch. I've driven (literally) hundreds of cars, everything from econoboxes to full-blown racecars with >800hp and have never found a single one that couldn't be started from a dead stop using the clutch only--no throttle.

Here's a tip:
Let the clutch out using your ankle, not your leg. Push the clutch all the way in, point your toe, plant your heel, and then start letting the clutch come up by flexing your ankle (lift your toes toward your shin). The friction point (where the car starts to move) will be somewhere within the range of your flexing ankle. When your ankle is flexed as far as it will go (the car will be rolling by now), finish letting the clutch out by sliding your heel back toward you.

Some people will find this difficult (at first), but I've not found a single person who couldn't master this in under an hour. Also, clutch wear while learning is zero.