View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
tasdrouille
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I read on the Peugeot forum that a newer version of my turbodiesel engine has a valve which allows the IC to be bypassed. This helps the engine warm up faster and is supposed to allow better EGR operation.

Has anyone seen this in action? Any comments?
It makes senses. I'm not ready to say higher higher intake air temps makes for a faster warm up since Daox's experiment. But it sure can't be bad.

An IC is a restriction, so when you don't need it, i.e. when it's cold out or when you are at very low loads pushing 1-2 psi, it should be a good idea to bypass it.

I don't see how it allows better EGR operation though, because the IC is located before the turbo which is located before the EGR valve in short route cooled EGR, which is most commonly found in passenger cars. Maybe when it's really cold out, because the cooled EGR is never cooled below the dew point to prevent gunking of the intake manifold and cylinder head from condensation in exhaust gasses and EGR soot mixing. So when the ambiant air is really cold, maybe it could get the mix to condensate. But that should not be much of a problem with newer particulate filters.

There surely is ans SAE paper somewhere discussing the details of IC bypass systems.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...