View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
tjts1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superturnier View Post
Thanks for the info.
Now I can stop dreaming of megasquirt and leanburn.

Maybe I should tune MyoldFord's carb back to stoich next summer, and find the lost torque.
I've never worked with carbs but from my experience, Megasquirt running at stoich is at least 10% more efficient than Kjet running at stoich. It comes down to a lot of different factors that MS does better than Kjet could ever dream of. That includes cyl to cyl fuel balance, injector reaction time, authority over cold start and fuel cut off on over run, injector spray pattern, closed loop O2 sensor control even under heavy load rich (12.5 afr) situations, etc. My 190e 2.3 automatic (no lockup TC) with MS running at a constant 75mph can return 28.9mpg on 87 octane at 14.7afr. The best I ever managed with Kjet in the same situation was 25mpg and it knocks on anything less than 91 octane at 14.7 afr. Running lean with MS (15-16.5afr) returned something between 24-27mpg but it never managed to beat the 28.9 at 14.7 afr with MS. I still think there is something to lean burn if I have full control over spark timing and maybe upgraded coil on plug setup but I haven't tried that yet.

You don't need to go lean in order to save gas. You can improve your FE with a more precise fuel delivery system at the same air fuel ratio.
good luck
Justin

Last edited by tjts1; 01-07-2010 at 01:38 PM..