View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #67 (permalink)
Fubeca
EcoModding Lurker

The Truck - '06 Chevrolet Silverado Ext Cab 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)
Phil,

If you get a second to put some mental work in my direction - could you answer a quick question?

I've read your post on ambient temperature and its effect on drag and fuel efficiency.

I noticed when I did my initial ABA style testing that my cap only increased my mileage by about 4%. Does the cold dense air increase the skin friction significantly? Would this cause the mileage increase with the topper to be less in the cold than it might be in hot air?

Or, is the opposite true, does an aerodynamic improvement with a lot of surface area have an increased effect on MPG improvement in the cold because aerodynamic drag is more pronounced in the cold air?

I'm curious as to whether my mpg difference will be consistent as the weather warms up or if when the weather is warmer I might see something more like 10% increase with the topper.

I do understand the non-aero effects of the cold, and during my test tried to mitigate them by testing with and without the topper as fast as I could make the change, and ensuring the truck was fully warmed up before the test. I also do not think the test was definitive and look forward to further testing.