View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
slight decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjboks View Post
btw - great build here:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-11611.html

I've taking a closer look a the "ideal" aerocap for my tacoma and found there is a slight decline at the end of the double cab (its not just in the picture). So the top of the streamlined template is back just above the middle of the rear door. With the template moved forward it reduces the tailgate height a bit. I previous calculated about 8-9 inches and now it's around 5 inches. Although is it better to error on the side of caution and make it higher?

I will also have to deal with the gap from the top of the aerocap to the cab. It appears if I go straight up from the bed I'll have a 6 inch gap that would create a bit of turbulence. Either build it flush or have some type of filler.
If the roof peak is forward,take advantage of it,allowing the downslope of your cover to initiate earlier and get closer to the tailgate top at the rear.
It will only raise the pressure behind the gate,lowering the pressure differential across the truck,lowering drag.
Next Spring,when doing a high-speed pass you'll feel like she's got an extra 25-hp.