View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
bondo
Master EcoModder

Thank you for the reference Frank.

I had not seen that article and promptly read it. Thank you again.

In the article Popular Mechanics stated, in 1982, that the installation of a camper shell and the closing of the gap between the cab and the camper would increase the fuel efficiency of the truck by 13%. In the article Popular Mechanics states the installation of the camper shell would, " take care of any turbulence at the back of the vehicle created by the cover and the air caught in the gap.....".

In the two wind tunnel tests on the Aerolid, the smoke (air flow) would never get caught between the back of the cab and the gap between the camper.

I include a picture I took in the A2 wind tunnel in Mooresville, North Carolina (NASCAR) as the smoke was applied to the drivers side of my pickup. You can see the smoke passing right down the side and not getting sucked into the gap. At the wind tunnel in Allen Park, Michigan, in another test, I was told by the nice folks at that tunnel the air never gets sucked into the gap with a camper shell installed on the truck and the smoke in that tunnel showed that to be fact.

I have to concur with the Popular Mechanics article about a camper shell eliminating the air getting sucked into the gap between the cab and the camper. It is Popular Mechanics stating that the installation of a camper shell will take care of any turbulence at the back of the vehicle created by the cover is what I have to question.

Bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010509.JPG
Views:	806
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	5312  

Last edited by bondo; 01-08-2010 at 11:28 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (12-29-2012), KamperBob (01-09-2010)