View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #76 (permalink)
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Bondo, that wind tunnel pic is excellent. It's not lost on me that it probably cost some cash and/or favors to acquire. Much appreciated!

If I read it right, it seems to show air from beside the cab rolling up over the side and down the top of the cap as the wedge decreases height down wind. That part seems perfectly intuitive. I guess your rounded edges and gentle taper are allowing that air to mix from side to top in a controlled way. You made an excellent design decision to trade off a little aerodynamics for a lot of utility. Otherwise, the ability to lift the lid and access the entire bed of the truck would be greatly hampered. In engineering, perfect is the enemy of good enough, and your design nailed that. Keep up the great work.

Fubeca, apologies for bending your thread. This is supposed to be about your cap I realize. And I don't mean my compliments Bondo's design to be any kind of dig at yours. Rather, I suspect your design goals differ, and perhaps both succeed. Your bang:buck ratio may be the highest I've ever seen. So, do I gather correctly that your bed is not used much? To haul something in the back you would just unclamp and removed the cap, right?

Thanks
KB