View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
AndrewJ
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The only thing I'd change is the time issue. I'm not in any particular rush to enable people to have/build this. Why the added time pressure? If we build it, they will come.

Aside from wanting to learn about this stuff, my original motivation was simply to develop something like the MID - with the same basic features - that many people keep asking about, but can't get for reasons of availability or affordability, or because they can't stomach the thought of a display that doesn't read in mpg (US) .
I think that a quicker timeframe is a laudable goal. If it's possible. Lets face it, people are going to want gauges in a few months, when the fuel price spikes really hit home this summer. If it's not possible to get a decent V1.0 in that timeframe then that's ok, but it's something to keep in mind anyway.
I agree wholeheartedly with dcb's mission statement.

A few comments from a self-professed electronics-moron.

--palm OS
-- I like the idea, but it's unnecessary in the V1 stage, would perhaps be a good V2 (or V3) add-on for syncing and online sharing (like Nissan's Japanese system) Plus it's just one more thing to have to find a place for on your dash, and to keep it charged....

--display
--I like LostCause's "potential layout." Very straightforward, just what we need.

--Arduino/freeduino
--sounds ideal. Of course I know nothing about programming/ee. I just like that it's cheap and opensource.

Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong. But the end product is essentially going to be a solder-it-together-yourself hardware unit with a downloaded software component.

The only part that makes me nervous so far is the software downloading bit. Please keep us mac users in mind Looks like I'm stuck with the USB'd 'duino.

Keep up the great work everyone, I'll be following closely (and wayyy over my head.)