View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
Peter7307
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I like your attempt to quantify the risk, but some of your assumptions are incorrect. The risk of food poisoning is much higher than you think. This Wiki article puts it at 30% of the population each year, even in industrialized countries. 76 million cases in the USA every year, resulting in 325,000 hospitalizations and 5000 deaths. 2.1 million deaths worldwide in 2000. Those are frighteningly high figures. Peter and Christ and Frank are either incredibly lucky, remarkably careful, remarkably tough, or are under-reporting their illnesses - likely attributing food poisoning to "flu" or indigestion.

I didn't link most food poisoning to commercially packaged food, because most of it comes from mishandling food in the home.
Yep,
I was also impressed with the detailed quantification of the food poisoning possibilities and Yes I have to also agree with your comments on the aspect of correct food handling being a major contributing factor to the incidence of food contamination.

I am scrupulous about cleanliness for the food I prepare and eat and rarely eat out for that very reason but I am not sure about being either tough or lucky ! Frank and Chris may well fare better on those points !

Pete.