View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Absolutely untrue. I'm in the metro NYC area and the UPS trucks won't park at the curb even when there are more available spaces than cars parked at the curb. There's no way anyone gets blocked in with few or no cars parked curbside. That's a fact.

But since you work for UPS (and not in a city environs in the Northeast) I wouldn't expect you to admit or even know why they all do it here. I read somewhere around 20 years ago about UPS's findings about steering wear; if it weren't true they wouldn't always be leaving their trucks in the middle of the street.

Yes, if you never have to turn your vehicle's wheels hardly, your steering will last a lot longer.
I don't work for UPS and I lived in Westchester for 5 and Manhattan for 10 years. I'm sure you have absolutely positively convinced yourself of this bit of legend, but I just don't buy it. The drivers are simply trying to avoid getting blocked in for 10 or 15 minutes by other deliveries.

When you thought I was a UPS driver you said you wouldn't expect me to "admit it". Sheesh, what's not to admit? It wouldn't be some huge corporate conspiracy thing even if it were true.

BUT, I'm willing to have my mind changed. If you have some actual information other than you simply know it to be true.... maybe a deathbed confession from an ex UPS driver?

Last edited by instarx; 01-12-2010 at 05:45 AM..