View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Katana
Interested Newbie

Silver Citroen Saxo - '02 Citroen Saxo 1.4i Furio
I don't know enough about the American driving tests to comment on their thoroughness or how they are done, care to enlighten me?

I took about 50 lessons before i felt ready to try the practical driving test, which i failed first time and barely passed the second time. Before you can do a practical test you have to pass a driving theory test, which is a series of 35 questions and a hazard awareness section which has a series of videos and you have to click a mouse when you spot a hazard. You have to get at least 30/35 questions right and 59% on the hazard awareness to pass.

The practical test is a 45 minute driving session with a highly experienced instructor, when i did my second test the marking instructor was head of the south west region of instructors who happened to be in town for a few weeks, you are marked on various criteria, you are allowed up to 15 minor faults before being failed, if you get more than 4 minor faults in one area you fail, and if you get a major fault you fail, i'll post the marking sheet for the test i passed so you can see.

Should make clear, the tick marks on the sections are where i got minor faults, you can also see i wasn't tested for the emergency stop (controlled stop) or parallel park (reverse park).
Another odd thing, whether you pass the test or not you aren't allowed to drive home after the test due to your emotional state.

Last edited by Katana; 01-13-2010 at 02:14 PM..