View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
AmpEater
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Since you'll be running it to charge the batteries, the only difference between a gas and diesel genset is that the diesel will likely cost more, be heavier, and pollute more. A gas engine on LNG/LPG would probably be the cleanest option given the on/off nature of the generator, but the Lambda must be around 1.6-8 for optimal emissions based on what I've read. Gasoline engines would likely be a pain emissions wise since the cat would have to be lit off every time, which would really increase emissions.
I really only intend to use the generator for perhaps 30min a day, split into 2 sessions. And then occasionally for 2-3hours. And I don't really expect to use it to "charge the batteries" so much as I want the generator to augment their output just as much as is necessary to get me where I'm going at a reasonable dod. I plan to recharge at school, and work, in addition to home and therefore still be running the car on 80% recharged stored electrons and 20% diesel electrons at any given time.

I regret having just commited to purchasing a diesel engine. But, this is basically a rolling science project for the next couple months and swaping over to propane would be a pretty simple matter. I've changed the battery mounting scheme to leave alot more space for the generator "pod" and therefore have room for an LPG tank if necessay.

Converting a gasoline engine to run of propane is not too complex it seems, with the possiblity of even leaving the gasoline equipment functional should it be necessary. Since I expect the generator to be running at constant speed, constant load finding the optimal amount of propane to inject for a good burn should be simple with a wideband O2 sensor (which I happen to have). I will have to explore this option.

Any ideas on how the emissions of a propane injected diesel compare? If the presence of lpg in the combustion chamber really creates a faster, more effecient burn with drastically reduced particulate emissions then I suspect a diesel may be comparably "green". I will have to find a way to test this.