View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
swartz77
EcoModding Lurker

Back and Forth - '96 Honda Prelude S
90 day: 30.57 mpg (US)
Honeycomb of death

So my Mazda6 has these "vents" in the lower front bumper cover where the driving/fog lights would be. The problem with said "vents" is that they aren't vents at all, just a honeycomb-esk design that is solid in the back, meaning they're little pockets of dirty aerodynamics. I've been considering ways to cover these until I acquire the factory lights (I know, more weight, more electric consumption, but the 6's lighting is pretty weak, and a little more would go a long way).

I've been thinking of two ways to go about it, one would be filling the holes, sanding the excess material to make a smooth shape. The other would be to simply cover the exterior, most likely creating a golf ball look over time from wind pushing on cover (depending on material of course). If I was to fill the holes, I'd want a lightweight material, maybe great stuff insulation foam or something, but that's a bit nasty/messy to work with, but light. If I cover it, black duct tape would be easiest, and ugliest. I'd rather not comprimise the stock look of my car too much.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Disregard those numbers for now.