View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
FullRacePhil
EcoModding Lurker

1994 Honda Civic D15 3-STAGE VTEC TURBO 55+ MPG

For sale is my super clean 1994 Honda Civic EX. The car is very unique due to the fact that achieves 55+ MPG while still making 230 HP at the wheels. The engine is a rare D15 3-Stage VTEC motor that utilizes three different valve timing variations:

Stage 1: 12 valve intake (VTEC-E)
Stage 2: 16 valve short duration intake (VTEC “Low-Cam”)
Stage 3: 16 valve long duration intake (VTEC “High-Cam”)

Maximum fuel economy is realized when the engine is operating in Stage 1 at low boost levels. The theory behind turbo charging for economy was that by keeping the intake manifold pressure as close to 0 psi as possible (no vacuum), volumetric efficiency would peak because no work would done by the crankshaft during the intake stroke (no work required to pull vacuum). I was able to average 68 MPG this past summer in Arizona, but the all time running average for the car is 54 MPG. The fuel economy largely depends on driving technique and habits. Here are a couple links to some more info on the engine:

D15B 1.5l SOHC VTEC
3-stage VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although the car was not designed to be fast, it does make 228 HP at 12 PSI of boost. The car was professionally tuned by Locash racing in Phoenix, and it has been my daily driver for over 9 months. Everything works fine (cruise control, pwr windows/mirrors, sunroof, ect...) and the car does have VERY COLD A/C! I am only selling to free up some garage space for a new project.

Please feel free to email me for specific pictures or with any technical questions about the car. To my knowledge there are less than 5 running D15 3-Stage engines in the US, and this is the only one that is turbo charged. Asking $6800.

Electronics
Hondata S300 (with boost control socket)
GM 3.0 BAR MAP Sensor
GM 1997152 Boost Control Solenoid
PLX Wideband
Autometer Boost/EGT Gauges

Engine
JDM D15 OBD2, 3-Stage VTEC (approx 30,000 miles on engine)
Professionally Tuned By LoCash Racing
Full-Race Turbo Manifold
Mitsubishi Evolution 8 Turbocharger (Twin Scroll)
Full-Race 3.0” Downpipe
Full-Race 3.0" Exhaust System w/ V-Band Catalytic Converter and Test Pipe
5.00” Thick Side Mount Intercooler
Tial Alpha-Q Blow Off Valve
USDM D16Y8 Intake manifold
Mitsubishi Evolution 550CC Injectors (balanced by RC Injectors)
Competition Stage 3 Clutch
HASPORT Engine/Tranny Mounts

Suspension
Koni Yellow Struts
Ground Control Coilovers
Full-Race Pro-Street Traction Bar
K-Sport Front Upper Control Arms
USDM Integra Type-R Strut Bars

Interior
USDM Integra GSR Seats
JDM Civic Si Front Accessory Console

Last edited by FullRacePhil; 01-16-2010 at 11:51 AM..