View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
AJI -

The Flow Illustrator is a tricky animal. The thread on it is a monster to read.

Flow from under the car will always be bad. My interpretation is that the curving downslope is too much, aka like a VW Beetle. I think it needs to be extended like so :

I say this because I think I am seeing a "virtual kamm-back" (or boat tail?!?!?) forming in the swirls. Notice that this makes it look like the new Prius and Insight. More interior volume too!

Articles I have read state that the Zoe does deploy a spoiler at highway speeds (just like the new VW Beetle), so maybe they are accounting for what I think is needed.
I think you may be right. I noticed the turbulence in that particular area too, though to my eyes it appeared to be being caused by airflow from the underside - so perhaps the spoiler you mention has a hand in actually stopping turbulent air affecting the attached air coming off the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
the ducka-ducka-ducka-ducka-clack-clack-clack-clack sound kinda sux
It's perhaps worth remembering that the Twizy driven in the video is the only one in existance, and it's essentially a concept car, not remotely ready for production. The drivetrain does sound a bit rough but no doubt that's to do with the infancy of the project. I doubt they'd release such a noisy beast onto the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
I like the design of their vans line-up. That's one think I hated when I was in the states, the boxy, terrible shape of the vans, the typical Fords and GMCs, those Econolines or whatever they are called... To be honest it felt like going to Cuba and seeing the Lada's and '50's cars everywhere...stuck in the past. no offence intended to anyone
Renault's vans are quite nice as vans go, as are Peugeot and Citroen's efforts - the market for small vans like that is massive in Europe so it helps to be good at them.

The US vans have their own appeal I think, but technologically they're far, far behind European vans. Ford's top-line Transit with the 3.2 TDCi engine produces similar torque to Ford's 5.4-litre V8 used in the E-Series, and no doubt achieves better fuel economy too.