View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
California smog check is definately required for every vehical registered in california. It is also a felony to register a vehical in another state if california is your primary residence. (in other words, if you have a house in cali, and a house in az, you register your car where your mail goes/license is)

i have had several convos with several people at both the BAR and CARB. Smog is required everywhere in cali.

in addition, not only is the smog check stricter here then anywhere else in the us, so are the mileage helping modifications as well.

Alternator deletes are illegal. Hot air intakes other then stock or CARB numbered aftermarket units are illegal. Electric water pumps are illegal on cars like mine, whose water pump is driven by the timing belt.

Basically, anything that messes with the engine, transmission, or engine management/smog equipment, and doesnt have a CARB number, is illegal. This includes stupid things like matching an engine to a tranny that was never offered with that engine stock. Like putting the economy tranny with the dohc neon engine, like i have done.

There reasoning is that they dont care about global warming. (thats straight from the horses mouth, from the CARB). They only care about pollution that causes cancer in humans. While lean burn saves gas, and reduces co2, its illegal on any vehical that didnt come with it because it increases nox emissions. They also told me that sometimes switching from an automatic tranny to a better geared stick can increase emissions. Yep, and he stuck to that even after i explained that the difference in trannys would allow me to burn 750 gallons a year, instead of 1000 gallons (unfortunately i must drive a lot for work, im currently at 600 gallons a year, or 50 mpg average).