View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Laurentiu
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
Ya, I suppose they have their "classic" look but good thing you mentioned the engines because that's exactly where I was aiming...Ok, the design/look might not be too bad, although aerodynamically they probably struggle at high speed, but the engines are all mostly gas-guzzling V8's mostly gasoline driven..Diesels fit the bill much better, with lower fuel consumption and with the max. torque typically available at much lower rotational engine speeds. Of course nothing sounds better than those V8's .
While being in the US, the small company I was working for had arranged transportation because our workplace was located in another city, 20-30 miles away and we were being transported back and forth in these Econoline's. The seating arrangements were simply atrocious and hard to get in/out, good thing most of the time there was only few of us. I'm comparing this to the Iveco's, Merc's Renault's that dominate the market here in Europe. And of course those Diesel engines make a big difference. A friend of mine (Romanian) owns a small shuttle company and uses Mercedes Sprinter as his work horse. I rode many times in his vans when I was a student and made friends with most of the drivers. They were telling me about the fuel consumption and those vans, equipped with 2.2/2.7 turbo diesels engines were getting very good mileage, 8l/100km (30MPG) average fuel consumption.

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford