View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrbrc View Post
I guess what offends me about much of this is the following quote from the article:

"Antisocial behavior"? Excuse me? Antisocial behavior is behavior that alienates one from the culture around, behavior that irritates most everybody else, and predisposes them to not want to like you.
Like, just fer instance, DRIVING 55MPH IN TRAFFIC THAT WANTS TO GO 65+MPH.
Like, fer instance, what most people here call "hypermiling". If the average driver is doing it, it's not antisocial. If the average driver is irritated by it, it's antisocial.
The moralizing done here (as if YOU know what is best) is more than a little annoying. Yes, I want to get better mileage. Yes, my driving style is much more conservative than it was at $.999 a gallon. But that's my ethics applied to me, and I'm happy.
But I'm also aware that the world's known oil reserves just keep growing. I don't find any weight in the argument that we are running out of oil. All such arguments are based on flawed use of statistics. In fact, almost all "doom and gloom" futurecasting done in the past 60 years has been provably erroneous.
So knock off the "I can't WAIT to make everybody else drive as slow as I think they should be allowed to go!" It just makes ecomodders sound antisocial.
If flagrant wastage of a finite resource is against society's best interests, I'd call that anti-social. Doesn't matter which side the "majority" falls on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
tasdrouille (01-17-2010)