View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
paule67
EcoModding Lurker

New W/Conversion Questions

Hello all. You have an incredible forum here. I have been wanting to do an EV conversion for about a year an need some suggestions before I make some purchases. I already have a donor car. It's a 1992 Toyota Celica, with a blown 4cyl and a 5spd. I am a mechanic and fabricator, so all of the modifications I have seen seem well within my capabilities. I am going back to school to finish my degree in Mechanical Engineering and would like to have this as a commuter. From what I have been reading, it seems that I will run into problems with the distance I need to go. My budget is about $2500, and I haven't seen anyone do a conversion that can go the 90+ miles round trip at speeds of 60mi/hr for that price. I have worked with motors and controllers before also, so I have the basic understanding of what is necessary and why. I am not worried about being speedy, but I would like to drive back and forth without having to recharge, and also use my headlights at night. Is this an impossiblity? Please let me know what suggestions would be for motor, controller, pot, and batteries assuming I can do all the work myself without having to pay for any of the work to be done. I am a proficient welder and machinist, so making the mounts, conversion hub and adapterplate are not a problem. Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing what is possible.

P.S.
I'd like to add that I am in a rural part of northern California. The commute is flat with no hills and only about 5 miles of my 90 is stop and go. Sometimes I go twice a day. I am checking on the possibility of a recharge station on campus. If there is one, I would be on campus for about 3hrs then return home.

All of you will be happy to know the school I am attending is currently 60% powered sustainably, and will be over 100% by the end of the 2010 calender year.

Last edited by paule67; 01-17-2010 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add specifications