View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

I agree with Daox. From what I have read, if you design everything in the engine for a single RPM, you can optimize the intake and the exhaust to always operate at BSFC peak. The same optimization can occur for the emissions. Is it fair to compare an ICE BSFC to a series hybrid's (theoretical?) BSFC?

In your favor, maybe I am quoting R&D and university stuff that doesn't transition well to the real world. For example, it looks like the Volt's engine does *not* follow the single RPM rule. The engine does operate at different RPMs based on what's needed. Soooooo, it's not the kind of series hybrid I was hoping it would be. Orrrrrr, maybe the engineers saw the same thing you are describing and are also trying capture ~90% of BSFC.

From my POV, the whole point of hybrid drivetrains is that they are transition technology. Without them, you don't get to see electric motors, regen-braking, plug-in charging, and battery tech advancements being tested in the real world.

I agree that a good ecomodder can beat a regular driver in a hybrid under a broad range of driving conditions. But (again) the majority of people are not willing to take on this task.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society