View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
What to use for Shrink Wrap?

OK, I been thinking hard about how to cover my AeroCap. I've come down to 2 alternatives.

* 6 mil black polyethylene from Hardware store, or
* 7 mil White Marine grade polyethylene from a ebay store that sells it by the foot.

$25 cost if I use 6 mil black Polyethylene from my local lumber yard, it's enough to cover my cap 7 times, 10' x 100'. ( I wouldn't put 7 layers on, I could screw up 6 times and still have one shot is what this means)

Good
It's cheap.
I think the black will look good on the back of my truck.

Bad
I'm afraid of 2 things,
- Will it heat shrink well enough? The guy in the store tore a bit off and we put his lighter to it and it shrank, so I think I'm OK here.
- On hot sunny days, will the heat from the sun cause it to get real loose and baggy?
- On hot sunny days will it heat up my bed area too much & stress the wood shell?

For $30 I get enough to cover my cap once, 10' X 16', with the marine grade 7 mil, and I have a 5 x 10 chunk left over to play with. (More like I play with the 5 X 10 chunk to get my technique down then do the job for real)
For $40 I could get a chunk that's 16' x 16' and I could wrap my cap twice.

Good.
- It's UV protected to last 1 year.
- I know for sure it'll work. (98%)
- It's white, so it will heat up less in the summer, keeping the bed area cooler and being less stressful on the substructure.
- I think it will be more stable thermally and less likely to get baggy on me on a Sunny 95F day.
- It is 1 Mil thicker & probably better quality.

Bad.
- It costs more.
- If it doesn't work, I'm really out $30-40. ( I could always use the black poly for something)
- The white color won't look bad, but I don't think it will be as stylish as the black. Although I could paint the white with Krylon Plastic Fusion paint ($20)

What do you all think? Should I not be such a freakin cheapskate and get the white? Or go with black, knowing I could always tear the black off and get the white later if the black fails me?