View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
I am aware of the "heat riser" system and chose not go that route because I tested mine out and found I was only getting 40 degrees above ambient, I wanted more heat. I also wanted to get more radiator capcity so I can run more grill block, so why not use my motor to pull air thru a heater core

The commute to work this morning confirmed that it is only very slightly better than underhood air, I don't think any real heat trasfer is happening in that extra heater core. The only thing I noticed is that the intake temps slowly increased, after an hour they were around 30-40 degrees above ambient. I'm going to have to think of a way to seal this off to use the intake to pull air thru...
Funny, I was thinking of playing around with the Storm that I got, since it has a spun rod bearing, instead of rebuilding or replacing the engine, I"m going to pull two opposing cylinders and run it as a parallel twin.

If that works out, with the way I'll drive it, I'll probably remove the entire cooling system and run a heater core and a forced air channel instead! That should be sufficient to cool <30HP, I'd think, especially when part of the engine itself will be acting like a heat sink, rather than producing heat.

If you can find an old airbox that the core fits in, seal the core into the airbox and put it in your intake line with the filter in front of the core (so it doesn't get plugged).