View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #56 (permalink)
Bror Jace
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

Thanks tim3058 and ThymeClock.

You saw a study that says 20% of our fuel is wasted at red lights? I think I calculated a 1.3% theoretical savings going from 65mph to 55mph in the original article cited at the beginning of this thread. It's easy to see where the efforts at fuel economy should be directed.

Yes, I have seen instances where too many signs confuse or distract people. Intersections with fewer signs often make people think a bit more (instead of not at all, evidently) and accidents have been reduced in some instances when this was tried.

My favorite are the round-a-bouts becoming increasingly common in this part of the country. I don't mind these if they are left simple: one or plain two lanes and yield signs. Anything more (arrows on signs, on the pavement, etc ...) is confusing and even seems to redirect you where you don't want to go.

This gets back to what ThymeClock stated above, don't look for governments (national, state or local) to take the 'less-is-more' approach too often. They don't relinquish power and control lightly.